I was a potter for 27 years
Several factors coalesced to conclude that career in 1992
- I developed a crippling chronic disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, in 1989 which developed into a full blown crisis in the early 90s
- The economy tanked in 2008 and years after which never fully recovered around hand made pottery
- The market for dinnerware seemed to require new designs annually. More competition? I don’t know but my prevailing interest in form did not loan itself to developing the latest ‘new’ look
- China and Japan imports became common during these years and it got harder to make a living as a functional potter. Not only was the traditional work being imported from Asia, but those same potters had begun to branch from traditional pots making artistic and beautiful work that appeared in the US market as well, providing even more competition
As my time away from the studio increased, I got the computer bug
While learning to create my price sheets on my daughters little Mac Classic, my interest blossomed into a beautiful new exploration of the digital world. It first led to my doing MAC consulting, training as I learned. I was helping out at the local computer club (Berkeley MAC User Group) I learned to fix printers, add RAM (computer memory), switch out hard drives and train folks on the MAC. Eventually, craving something a little more artistic, I moved to web design and started making websites.
Other Eve Lurie Websites
- evelurie.com is my business website for design and build, hosting, and maintenance for websites.
- elurie.com Greeting Cards I developed this website in 2004 to show some of my photography and to air the political statements of our local movie theatre. This is an HTML, or ‘static’ website.
- http://altsresource.com/ Learning the history of major issues has always been a passion of mine. the mainstream press delivers news snippets when more information is needed. This blog gives me an opportunity to showcase in depth stories about subjects that are only touched upon elsewhere. Articles on politics, science, environment, medical technology, permaculture, local, sustainable living. Most recently, I’ve been interested in solutions developing in local communities. Solutions to make lives better.
- Tumblr Blog North from Oakland, California to Canada in 2007. Seven months on the road with the campervan.
- Eve’s Travels Latest news on travels or non travels
- Not so new, from 2006 Life and Art